Monday, July 18, 2011

Hurting People Hurt People


Any journey through life will bring your share of hurts. There will be misunderstandings- in the home and family. Your spouse may feel neglected, you may sense that you are treated unfairly by your parents. You may have conflict with a sibling. Friendship squabbles are also difficult. They sometimes turn into wars, with people taking sides, and the hurt becoming more entrenched in their pain, and in their anger.

It is easy to preach from the sidelines to those whose response is coming from a hurtful situation. Grow up, stop acting childish. Get over it, we often preach. Sometimes the words we say, although carrying a measure of truth, only serve to make the pains deeper and the hurt person more engrossed in their feelings. It's somewhat like telling someone who has lost a loved one to just get over it. The fact is, that not everyone is able to deal with hurt and misunderstandings at the same pace.

I am not advocating petting and pampering someone who only wants your sympathy votes, and is stirring up a mess with their gossip and lies in the process. The truth I seek to drive home is that often times we are in a process of healing, and we are not there yet.

I know personally the feelings of rejection. Being raised in a large family, and the oldest child, I sometimes felt lost in the family. Some of the problems as a child, I carried into my adult years. So I can sympathize with those who feel as if they have been overlooked, rejected, or been hurt by words or actions. While I may not agree with their handling or reaction, I feel compassion for them.

I know it hurts. Its possible they didn't mean to hurt you. Its also possible they did. Either way, I am pulling for you. You are a good gift, have tons of potential inside you. God wants to heal your hurts today.

Be Blessed, in Jesus' name!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

POWERFUL

Just what I needed to hear! Thanks, I'm your newest follower!