Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The almost perfect birthday

Yesterday was the birthday of both my daughter and my daughter in law. We had a little gathering with a few family members and friends at a nearby restaurant. A few gifts were given, and as the eating of the meal was winding down, I stepped out to the car to get the birthday cake.

The cake was Zach's idea. He wanted one for his mom and his aunt Ti Ti, his nickname for Tina. A white cake with purple icing was Zach's request, and the Ingle's bakery baked the cake and decorated it accordingly. If you follow my blogs, or know me personally, you know Zach is my 5 year old grandson.

As we were finishing the food, fellowship, and cake, Zach proclaimed, "This is the perfect birthday." Then, as in retrospect, he said, "If my daddy had been here, it would be perfect."
Daddy... he doesn't attend much at fellowships or parties. Works a lot. Our oldest son, he has a lot of good qualities. But, like a lot of men, he misses what is important. Family time, friend time. The moments of life together. I tell this story, not to embarrass a son whom I love dearly. I tell it for the fear of a man missing out the precious moments and a child recognizing it. I tell the story for all men out there who are too busy for their own good.

"If daddy had been here, it would be perfect." Zach said... I almost cried. It was an almost perfect birthday.

No comments: