Tuesday, July 27, 2010

If only... even though

I remember coming across an article a number of years ago. I can't find it, and can't recall exactly how it went. But the main point of the subject, I do remember. It has stayed with me through the years. It went something like this:

A man had faced numerous obstacles and problems in his life, some of which had him at the point of giving up and quitting. He decided one day to take an index card and write on it... "If only-- Even though." Every time he looked at a problem, he would put an "If only." Then he would write the problem, followed by an "Even though." Beside the even though he would write why he must not give up and quit, but press on. He would write a plan of action, a scripture promise, or a prayer prayed. It was enough to get his focus off the problem and onto the possibilities.

We are all faced with "if onlies." If only I had have gotten a better education, if only my marriage had have worked, if only they had not done this to me. If only my health was better, the economy was in better shape. If only I had not take the path I did.

But it is never too late to change. And many times to change where you are going, you must change your perspective. Change your thinking. Get your eyes off the problems and onto the promises, onto the positive things God has in store for you.

We are all faced with obstacles. Financial difficulties, peer pressure, relationship problems, health problems, and other issues come our way. Stress and anxiety, fear, doubt, and worry want to latch onto us. We must choose to direct our focus in a positive, uplifting direction.

God will get you through this. He never gives up on you. Look beyond the trial, through the storm. He has a plan for your life. You will look back at your struggle one day and realize it was just a test.

Blessings to you today. God is good!

No comments: