Thursday, September 2, 2010

Blessings disguised as problems

I find myself attempting to encourage a very dear friend this morning. She is a member of the church I pastor, and finds herself having to cancel a vacation this morning. Plans to celebrate the 10 year wedding anniversary with her husband were put on hold. Her 3 year old daughter would not get to see the ocean for the first time in her life.

This lady is a vital part of our church, and is like family to us. A couple of days ago she had become sick. Praying she could get some meds in her and go on, she was pressing ahead. But upon awakening this morning and stirring around, she realized she was not feeling well enough to make the trip. And so, the plug had to be pulled.

I hate when things happen to our plans, don't you? I know the pain of having the rug pulled out from under your feet by an unexpected and unwelcome situation. But things happen in life, don't they? And often, things which we initially see as problems turn out to be blessings instead. Look through the bible, and you will discover this truth.

I'm not sure how or if this applies to my friend. I know God didn't make her sick, and I'm not saying God didn't want her to go on this trip. What I am saying is that there may be a blessing in this that is not evident at the moment.

I know from experience. I have had life's problems that turned out to be opportunities, which turned into blessings!

No comments: