Saturday, October 9, 2010

How's your serving?

My wife and I just returned from a 3 day trip to the mountains. We took our grandson with us, and had a great time. While there, I was reminded of a valuable truth that applies in pretty much every area of life. It deals with serving, or being served.

On Thursday, we had lunch in a well known franchise establishment. It wasn't high end, but it is a place we enjoy eating. The food is pretty good, and priced modestly. We had no complaints regarding the food. But the service was terrible. My tea glass sat empty for about 15 minutes. The waitress brought my soup out, and my wife's soup out, but never brought out my grandson's salad, until about 30 minutes (after I finally asked for it). My wife never got a refill of her diet coke. And when I asked for a "to go" box, it never came. Guess who didn't get a tip? The poor service negated the good food.

The next day we went into another place for lunch. The food was great, and so was the service. The waiter did not wait for our glasses to get empty, he brought refills. He brought more bread. He was on top of the game, before we asked for something. Not only was the food great, but so was the service.

The two days got me to thinking about how people come to our church. They may enjoy the music and singing, the preaching. But how are we coming across in the serving department? Do we help them find the restrooms? Are we friendly? I believe it is our responsibility to serve well, both in the world, and in the church. People need Jesus. Let's make sure it is an enjoyable experience!

No comments: