Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Flawed Friends

Have you ever noticed that we want our friends to become to us what we've never become to them? In fact, we expect them to be what we could never be to anyone-- perfect. Perfect is being without flaw. A perfect friend never is unfair, never treats you wrongly, never overreacts to a situation. A perfect friend is just that... perfect in every way. But that person doesn't exist. Truthfully, you don't have any perfect friends, and you are not one yourself.

You may have friends of whom you've never had a fight with. There may be those with whom you seem to hit it off. That is great! We all need friends that are special to us. Everyone needs a friend that will stand with him through thick and thin. A friend that will go to battle with them, believe in them, and encourage them, no matter what they have done or are going through. But even that friend falls short of the perfection mark. We just tend to overlook, ignore, or are purposely blind to their shortcomings.

My wife and I are away on vacation. Our grandson, his mom, and dad are with us, as are some friends. Zach, the grandson, Samuel, and Sydney Grace were collecting seashells yesterday as the sun was going down. It was for a project for my daughter Ti Ti, who leads Kid's Church back home. They returned with some perfect sea shells, among others that were imperfect. What they don't know is that Samuel and Sydney Grace's dad had bought an assortment of sea shells in the camp store, and planted them so as to help their project. The perfect shells to them weren't formed from the ocean, the grind of the water, waves, and rocks. Truthfully, I've never studied their formation. I just know most of the seashells you pick up at the beach are cracked, chipped, or have an imperfect form. Like my friends... and like me.

Job was going through the crisis of a lifetime. Calamity after calamity, trial after trial had hit. His finances, his home, tragic loss of lives and property, and his health were all affected. He was having wife problems. He needed his friends, but they weren't there initially. And when they showed up, they said nothing. Things got worse when they finally spoke to him. They played the blame game. Instead of encouragement, came accusations. Job called them "physicians of no value." Physicians are supposed to help heal, aren't they? Job's friends had become his frenemies-- friend enemies. Do you have frenemies? Have you become one?

Before Job could be restored, he had to pray for those flawed friends. I believe he had to forgive them. So must you and I. We are flawed, we are imperfect. Our shell is cracked, fragmented, and chipped. But Jesus loves us anyway. We should love one another as He has loved us!

Lord, thank you for my flawed friends today. Bless them, I pray. And forgive me when I hurt them. In Jesus' name, amen!

2 comments:

Dale Austin said...

This is a wonderful and profound truth. Great blog!

Anonymous said...

Talk about 'on time' and God being in control. I have been thinking all night and even as I sat here at the computer about a situation involving a 'friend'.

I was thinking about how I need to forgive this individual and accept them as just 'flawed', and to help me get over it I said, "Father forgive them, for they know now what they do".

Really, it was the Lord who brought this to my Spirit and I agreed with him. This did give me a bit of more piece about the situation, but did not necessarily make me totally 'forget it'.

So, I log in a few minutes ago and here is this post especially for 'me' at this 'moment'.

God has been dealing with me about letting a lot of hurt go I've had to deal with during this season in my life ( wilderness ). I felt I had let it go, but then this happened. "UGH, I thought, got to let it go again".

This has been on my mind literally off and on all night even as I slept and tossed and turned.

"I hear you my Father, Forgive them for they know now what they do"

Not only that, neither do I when I mess up.

Thanks for being obedient and posting this word from the Lord.

God Bless You!