Thursday, February 4, 2010

Love greater than the stench

Those who know me well know that I have a weak stomach. The sight or smell of certain things are very repelling to me. I have been known to vomit in response to some things. It is not something I am proud of, but I purposely shy away those things which elicit such a response from me... at least from most of them.

I could never work in a hospital or any setting caring for the sick. When I see or smell vomit, I am subject to vomit myself. So I generally turn and go in an opposite direction.

Generally would be the objective word. There ARE exceptions. Without being gross, I want to share from my heart a point that came to my mind yesterday. My wife had become sick. She was nauseous, and was very dizzy. Making frequent trips from the bed to the bathroom, she needed help. The bathroom in our bedroom is adjoining, and not more than five feet from the foot of the bed. But Trish's condition required that she needed help.

Helping guide her into the bathroom, where she would vomit, then back to bed. The bedroom stank, and the bathroom needed cleaning... from the vomit. It was repulsive. It was stinking. It was making ME sick.

But I didn't run. I didn't complain. I didn't walk away. I prayed. I helped as much as I could. I cleaned up after her. And I stayed by her with love. And it came to me... My love for my wife was greater than my repulsion to the stench!

As I was thinking about this, the light came on! That's the love of God toward us, isn't it?! God's love to us is greater than His hatred of the sin that held us captive. He loves you greater than your sin, your stink!

No comments: