Thursday, February 25, 2010

Thank God I'm free!

Freedom is precious, isn't it? Our freedom as a nation is something we often take for granted. As an American, I am privileged to live in a land where I have freedom to worship, or not to worship. Freedom to voice my opinions, cast my vote without fear of reprisal. The blessings of our freedom is an endless list. Same thing with our spiritual freedom. As a Christian, I am blessed with the fact that I am made free in Christ. He has broken the bonds of slavery that sin had on my life. Again, the list of the benefits of this kind of freedom go on and on.

And though we enjoy freedom, we must understand that freedom isn't free at all. Our spiritual freedom came at a price of God's most precious gift, his only begotten Son. It often costs those of us who serve in the church to maintain spiritual freedom. Discomforts, sacrifices, and commitment aren't words we hear in today's Christian vocabularies. But they are written in the hearts and lives of those who pay the price for you and I to enjoy the tangible presence of God in a world which rejects Him. And our national freedom is won and preserved by the serving of men and women in the military, who risk their lives for said freedom.

Yes, I thank God I am free! Thank God for liberty in Christ. We sometimes sing the song "Freedom" and add the chorus "no more shackles, no more chains, no more bondage, I am free."

What about you today? Are you free?

No comments: