Sunday, April 4, 2010

The Cost

It cost us a lot this weekend. We had a busy weekend, as most churches do. The church is growing. It is exciting. But with added people, come increased budget needs. I don't have the exact figures in terms of dollars and cents. But lets face it, it costs to do anything these days. And ministry costs.

I am not complaining. Just thinking aloud. Thinking about the hot dogs and sodas, the candies and desserts given away at Saturday's Easter Eggstravaganza. Thinking about the man hours involved in serving and helping for the event. It was small scale compared to some things we have done. Plus the hours of prep for the youth team skit. It wasn't necessarily a money cost, other than the utilities while doing rehearsals at church. Add the praise and worship practice time, the various other parts of church that come together for the service. There's the cost of the bulletins, the ink for the copier, and things we take for granted.

I was putting up a cross in the sanctuary, and could not find our crown of thorns, which would rest at the top. So I went to the local bible book store to purchase one. It cost $70! I couldn't believe it.

Yeah, it costs to run a church. It costs to have a vision to reach the community, and the world, for Jesus. But when I consider the price he paid. He paid the ultimate price with the sacrifice of himself on the cross!

I don't mind church offering plates. I don't mind church doors and property being open for rehearsals, bible studies, fellowships, etc. At the church I pastor, it costs to run the church. But investing in souls is well worth the money we give and the time we spend.

It costs. Better yet, it pays! That's why we keep on doing what we are doing. That is why we will until Jesus comes!

No comments: