Saturday, April 10, 2010

Why you hatin' on me?

I remember the song from church Sunday School. As a child we would sing it. "Jesus loves me, this I know. For the bible tells me so". It is comforting to know that He loves you, isn't it? Sometimes we need to be reminded of that.

Jesus loves me... but not everyone else does. Most of us have some "haters." Hard to believe, isn't it? My wife loves me. My family loves me. My grandson (and his dog) loves me. Most of my church loves me. And these people love me, in spite of my imperfections.

When you are in ministry, leadership, or pretty much any area in the public eye, there will be people who just don't care for you. This is a truth I have learned to live with. It has tormented me at times. People you befriend, love on, and pray for, turn against you. Some, for no apparent reason. As a pastor, I have seen people leave the church. They talk about it, talk about the leadership, and try to discourage anyone they know from being a part of it. It leaves you sometimes wondering why. You try to remember what you did, what actions on your part warranted such venom.

We must always remember to walk in grace. Forgive those who speak against you, and do not allow it to bring bitterness in your heart. Walk with God. Carry no grudges. Joseph refused to retaliate against his brothers, even though they had wronged him, and caused him much pain. And Jesus modeled the power of forgiveness on the cross. You and I must choose to respond in like manner.

Walking in love towards those who oppose you is not always an easy task. But it is the right course to take. It requires self discipline. When you see someone in the market place who has repeatedly put the verbal "stab in the back" in you, the flesh nature wants to respond accordingly, and put them in their place. But we are not called to serve the dictates of our fleshly nature. We are called to walk in the Spirit, the nature of God.

It helps to remember that not everyone is linked to your assignment. And there are people who were with you in one phase of life that are no longer attached to you. Don't take it personal. Love everyone who will receive your love. And don't waste your time arguing with those who will not.

I write this blog out of no sense of being hated on today. It is not written in response to anything that I am aware is going on. I just wanted to remind you not to get sidetracked by responding to those in "the hater's club."

Yes, Jesus loves me (and you). For the bible tells me so.

No comments: