Friday, March 11, 2011

I hate depression...

I heard the news yesterday. A brother in ministry had passed away. Like me, he had a background in music and singing. Also like me, he was a pastor, and a family man. He was somewhat younger than I, and the news of his passing troubled me.

I had met him a few years ago when he came to my church for a benefit we were having for my brother in law, who was battling cancer. He brought his wife and kids, and they sang for us. I had known of this brother through his frequent appearances on a local Christian TV station, and also knew that he had had a background with helping some big time gospel groups in his beginnings. In our concert for Michael, my son in law, he, his wife, and kids sang. It was a beautiful singing.

I hadn't personally heard from him in a while, but I knew he was pastoring a church in nearby South Carolina. I assumed everything was going well. Then I heard the news... Apparently things had been going bad lately. I don't know the details, and only heard this through another pastor friend. But this brother was going through some rough times. His wife had left him, and his church had asked him to resign.

A couple of days ago he took his life. I am deeply saddened by this. Although I did not know him well, I feel a great loss. I know he was a man of God, and there was an anointing on his life. He contributed much to the kingdom of God. It shouldn't have ended like this.

We all have felt the emotions of discouragement and despair. I personally know what it is to battle depression. Most of us do not take the measures that he did. I regret that he felt so low that he did so.

Our prayers are with the family.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh, this is so very sad, indeed. I'm so sorry. To know that someone passes is sad, but then to know how is especially sad. Please pray for the person who found him, as well; trust me, that is a most horrible sight to see. My prayers are with everyone.

Anonymous said...

We are broken people in this world, and there are not always 'answers' to all of our questions.

I thank God for his everlasting mercy he has poured upon all of us.

We do not understand why everything happens, but I know a man who does.

He is indeed still in good hands. To live is Christ, to die is gain.

God watches carefully over the passing of his people.

He did not live alone, though he may have felt like it. We all do at times.

Our Heavenly Father promised that NOTHING could separate us from his LOVE, not even death!

He surely did not die alone either.

Be encouraged!