Thursday, March 3, 2011

Mother in Law Jokes and Banana Pudding

We've all heard the mother in law jokes. Most men have not only heard them, but have shared them. We've also made up a few of our own. Any man who has been married has more than likely felt the wrath of an intrusive mother in law who at one point felt the evil man was hurting her little girl.

I was one to share some mother in law jokes. I was also one that on occasion had a difference of opinion with my wife's mom. But although we had our differences, we got along well. And I haven't shared a mother in law joke in quite a few years. At least twelve or more, I think. Mary passed away years ago to cancer. I think it was about twelve.

I miss her. I remember when Trish (my wife) and I met. Her mom was a talker. I was shy and backwards by nature. But Mary never met a stranger. She could talk to anyone, whether she knew them or not. In my early days of ministry, her communication skills were a tremendous help to me. I learned that talking to people helps them open up. It helps them to get comfortable with you.

Another thing I miss is her crying. We would often laugh at it. I was one of the leaders of the laughing. I can see it today as if it were only yesterday. We would be sitting around at a family gathering, enjoying ourselves, when all of a sudden, she would start. She would try to hide it, and we would wonder what it was. The crying wasn't always sad, many times it was joyful. But still, she would open up like a flood. Mary's heart was tender. Whatever it was that had touched her heart, she couldn't conceal. So the tears would flow.

And boy, could she cook! Southern style cooking with all of its flavor! I miss the dinners, and the desserts. One of them that I remember was the banana pudding. My wife never made banana pudding, because, as she put it, "nobody makes it like momma." And sadly, when she passed, so did the pudding with her. Trish never thought to get the recipe. (Thankfully, my daughter makes a pretty good pudding)

Banana pudding, tears, talking. Memories. Mary is with Jesus today. I had left the hospital by my wife's side as Mary struggled with breathing. The cancer had taken its toll. I had a wedding to perform. I didn't make it back in time to tell her goodbye.

I'm looking forward to the next time we meet, when I will say hello. Or, as we say here in the south, "Hey." I might say "Hey, Mary. Got any banana pudding?"

No comments: