Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Take a retreat so that you wont retreat

I talked to a dear friend the other day. He is burning the candle on both ends, and is tired. It was apparent that he needs to get away. The pressure and duties of ministry are getting to him.

I understand the dilemna of my friend. I, too, have been at a place where I was tired mentally, physically, and spiritually. Someone a number of years ago labeled this type of situation as burnout. You may be facing that today. You may be going through the motions. You may be taking the journey, but not enjoying the trip.

Jesus told his disciples on one occasion to come apart and rest awhile. The bible said they had no leisure, no rest. They were busy doing the work of the ministry, and just needed some time to relax and unwind.

Thank God for vacations. Most of you have probably taken one by now, and with summer coming to an end, may take another one within the next couple of weeks. Vacations give us the time to enjoy a break with our family and friends.

I don't want to lose the victory by letting my life burnout. Sometimes I need to take a retreat. A few years ago, Trish and I made a habit of getting away a few days about once a quarter to relax, pray, and just get refreshed. It helped us tremendously, and we stayed fresher in the Lord. We haven't done that in several years, and I know that the little retreats were great booster times that empowered our ministries and lives.

I know my good buddy is not going to retreat- he is a mighty man of faith and power, and will not go backwards. But I also know he needs to get away from the pressure of the duties in front of him. Like him, you may need to do so, as well. If you don't have the time to take off your job, or the money to take a few days to the mountains, I encourage you to take some time off in your busy week to find a quiet and relaxing place. Go to a park, a lake, a coffee house. Get a good book, a praise CD on quietly, and unwind.

Y'all be blessed!
Pastor Ronnie

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The pastor must take personal steps to avoid burnout. The fallout rate for those who do ministry is way too high. For every 10 men who graduate seminary, only 3 will be in ministry at retirement! Good word.

Scott Newton Smith
Co-host, The Sermonators Radio Show for Busy Pastors
http://www.sermonators.com