Wednesday, February 25, 2009

No respect around here

Respect and reverence in worship has always been open to interpretation. Cultures differ as to what is and what is not proper or expected in the house of God. In the news of the weird today is a brief article released by the Associated Press from the Baltimore area.

It seems a father got upset because his son refused to take his hat off in church. Apparently the dad's anger boiled over, and after church he stabbed his son in the buttock with a knife. Good deal, dad, that will show him! Try to kill your boy for leaving his hat on.

I attended a youth rally Sunday night at a friend's church. Many in the crowd were dressed differently than I, and some wore hats. I personally didn't feel led to pull my knife out in order to teach them respect. As a matter of fact, I enjoyed the service and wondered why we don't have as much liberty in our regular services as the kids. Maybe it's because they are not bound by rituals and regulations like some of us.

I am sort of old school. I understand the need for discipline and reverence in the house of God. I sometimes am bothered by a lack of entering into worship. I attempt in all things to honor God, and I certainly do not want anyone to be disrespectful of Him.

I remember years ago, probably 10 or 12 years ago. I walked into the sanctuary from my office. Near the front was a young lady I knew who had grown up in the church, and had been in and out recently. She was visibly upset. It was about five minutes before worship time, and I called her into my office to inquire what was wrong. She told me her husband, whom I didn't know at the time, was with her. He was wearing a hat. One of the deacons in my church had asked him to remove his hat, and he decided rather than do so he would go outside. I told her to go get her husband and tell him it was ok for him to wear the hat inside. I also instructed the deacon not to interfere. In ten or so minutes, the young man returned. But he was not wearing his hat. Today that couple is still in the church, and they are a part of our leadership structure.

Yes, I would prefer you take your hat off in church. And if you are a part of my core group, I will ask you to remove it. I will give exception to youth events, fellowships, etc. And if you are a visitor, we wont even say anything. You see, to me the issue is not really the hat-- it's the heart. And if I run you out of church because you've got a hat on, then you're not going to hear the life changing message I'm about to preach. You may not hang around and become a part of the worship team, the church board, the children's director.

I don't think I'll be pulling the knife out today on any hat wearers!

2 comments:

sparkled*life said...

The sades thing is the church has to stay relevant. Does it really matter if someone wears a hat if they are getting fed the word when they come? I would say no not at all. Sure in other generation it was seen differently to wear a hat in church. Today's kids don't have any idea they are even offending someone.

Lord help this father that has way worse issues than a hat on in church.

Liked your blog! Blessings on you, your ministry and church

Pastor Ronnie Robbins said...

Thanks for taking the time to respond with your view on the blog. I also posted it on my facebook page, and your response mirrors those expressed there. It seems most people feel the heart is more important than the outward appearance.