Friday, July 3, 2009

"Blowed a gasket"


Yes, I know. It is not correct English. But I sit this morning thinking of a mechanic's term I have heard described over the years regarding a car that needed repairs. Being brought up around the automobile business, I learned the value of a good "head gasket." A blown gasket would result in loss of engine power and damage to the ability to function properly.

To "blow a gasket" has become a metaphor meaning to lose one's mind or senses. To get angry beyond reason, or to lose control of emotions and reasoning. Have things around you ever become so crazy that you "blowed your gasket?" I confess that I have. No, not the kind of breakdown that required the attention of a doctor or a prescription of medicine. But I have had those times when I couldn't take any more (or maybe didn't discipline myself to do so) and I entered into the gasket blowing situation. Minds and bodies go on overload, you shut down, blow off steam. Different people react in different ways, but most can identify. You said something you later regret, but at the time you had had enough. It may not have even been the current situation or person that caused your problem, but it happened.

Pastors occasionally blow a gasket. I do it every once in a while to a good friend of mine, also a pastor. No, I am not really attacking him, I am just letting go of my frustrations. He does the same thing to me. It is good to have a friend to whom you can be transparent and let go of your feelings. He always listens and helps. The danger is when we reveal ourselves to people who will uncover us before others. I heard Bishop TD Jakes talk one time about Naaman, and he used the term "but" he was a leper. Bishop Jakes went on to say that you need to watch who you show your "but" to.

Gaskets and seals are important in our lives. I remember having a car that the air conditioner didn't work. I had it checked and found out the problem was an O ring, a little rubber seal that cost about 50 cents at the time. The freon had leaked out because of a bad seal, a "blown gasket." I have had some problems with my pool for the last couple of weeks. The problem began right before vacation, so upon returning home I have tried to discover the root of it. Cloudy, milky water. Every time I would vacuum and add chlorine, white would shoot into the pool and the situation would get worse. Just before dark last night I checked out the filter. There it was- a seal wasn't in place. The filter wasn't functioning properly because of a malfunctioning seal, or gasket.

You know, life is like the gasket. You may not be in such bad shape after all. Just may need to replace a gasket.

No comments: