Saturday, September 12, 2009

Confessions of a small town pastor

Sometimes I feel to speak to the church pastor. One of the things I find in doing research concerning my blogs is that a lot of pastors are looking for answers. I want to speak to you today. Not from the sense that I have the answers you are looking for, but from the perspective that I can understand you, and identify with you. Here goes. If you are not a pastor, I hope you as you read this, you will pray for your pastors and leadership. I will also say that not every pastor and church fits into the category that I address here.

Thinking about church life. Honestly, I've been at it for a while. I have weathered the storms and have seen the ups and downs of serving as pastor in a small town church. My wife and I have witnessed church growths and church slumps. In the good times I want to run and jump and shout. Sometimes in the difficult times I just want to run.. run away, run and hide, run and cry.

But God is good. Even during the struggles, He is good. And, at the moment, the church is doing well. Sort of. The annual summer slump took its toll on us. Now that school is back in session, the attendance has picked up. And not only with more constant attendance by our regular attenders, but by a new flux of visitors. It is encouraging.

I held a special meeting this past Wednesday night. I called it "dream building." We served food, and I share vision and strategies for growth, planning, and that kind of stuff. Took about 90 minutes. The attendance was good, and the positive response and feedback was very encouraging.

While the attendance is up, the funds are not. Our region continues to remain one of the worst in the nation. The unemployment here is around 16%. That is the figures they give. I estimate it is more like 20%. Some have given up on finding a job, and have quit looking. Industries here have all but left, and the job market for the most part is on the lower end pay scale.

All that effects the giving, which is how the church operates. I had a friend of a nearby city tell me the other day that his finances are tight. And, although he is only 30 miles away, the job market there is totally different. He described to me his situation, but I didn't tell him ours. Another friend is considering cutting back some of his staff. Honestly, either of those are in good shape financially compared to what we have gone through. But we are not alone in our struggles. Churches all across the nation are being affected.

I will confess there has been times when I have thought of quitting. I have reasoned that I can do something else, make more money, or get a consistent paycheck. But someone will pray, someone will give their heart to the Lord. I will see a reason to hang in there for one more week. And the next week there is another reason.

These are the ups and downs of church life in these days. But we are going to make it, by the grace of God. Am I negative? I hope not. What I want to tell you is to hold on, make adjustments. Do whatever you need to do through this difficult season. You are not alone. You can make it.

Blessings,
Pastor Ronnie

No comments: