Monday, September 7, 2009

I cried that she cried

Walked in on my wife as she sit up on the edge of the bed. She was rubbing her legs down with something, I am not sure what it was. As she did so, she was crying. Out of the medicine she needs to relieve the pain and without the money to get it, she has had to endure and tough it out. Not that the medicine eliminates the pain, but it helps reduce it to being livable.

I don't know if she was crying because of the pain or because of the fact that the medicine she needs is so expensive that she can't get it. Or was she crying because in spite of the fact that the church seems to be growing again, we still haven't gotten over the financial struggles we're in. Living in Rutherford County and pastoring a small church is not easy in these trying times. Ranked 13th in the nation with depression because of the lack of jobs and low paying ones that exist, the county continues to struggle. This is where we are.

I've watched as both sides of the political platform has fought over the health care bill. I have reservations about the government bailouts that have gone on and the increasing budget deficit. But I have been in third world countries that have better health care than we do. Trish and I do not have medical insurance. We simply can't afford it.

And so, sometimes at night, she cries. And when I see it, I do, too.

No comments: