Thursday, September 24, 2009

I CHANGED MY MIND

I have been known to do it before. And yes, I will do it again. I am speaking of this mind changing thing. What? Indecision, you say? Double mindedness? Maybe. But that is not always the case with "mind changers" like me.

You see, I believe in movement. We CANNOT stay the same. We MUST change. Not change for change's sake, but because we become stagnant when stationary. We need progression in our lives. Anything standing still or remaining the same is losing ground. Change is the key word.

Trying new approaches and methods is not forbidden in the church. There are abolutes, such as prayer, the word of God, salvation through Christ. But we are allowed variations on many things. For example, we are told to teach the word. But the bible doesn't say to call it kid's church or sunday school. The bible says to praise God, but it doesn't say if it is to be contemporary music or southern gospel. The bible says to be assemble ourselves together, but it is not specific on the time. When it doesn't say specifically, it gives us liberty to choose what works best for us. And what works best for one may not be what works the best for the next.

I like what I call "out of the box" thinking. I am not afraid to try something new or fresh. I am not afraid to fail. I had rather try and fail than fail to try. The high distance jumper doesn't know his limit until he has actually failed. When he tips the bar over, the measure just prior to that is his level. And that doesn't mean he can't raise his level. So I sometimes try something that doesn't work. If it doesn't, I know how to pull the plug, revamp, or retool. I refuse to stay stuck with something that doesn't work just because I had the bright idea in the first place.

Changing one's mind is a biblical concept. The word repent in the bible means to change one's way of thinking. to reconsider or think differently (source: Strong's concordance). So I encourage you to expand your horizon, stretch yourself. Let's get creative. Think of new opportunities for extra income for yourself. Think of fresh ideas to get your church more involved in the community. Write your ideas down and share them with people who appreciate your giftedness. So what if your idea is not tried? At least it was another one on the table. It was something to consider. Dream on. Not every song written becomes a hit. But some do. Dream your dreams, write your songs. Didn't work? It's ok, you're not a failure based on what didn't work. Try again.

About two months ago the Lord really stirred in my spirit something regarding the church I serve as pastor. It was regarding the phrase insanity, and the thought which is expressed, "If you keep on doing what you've always done, you're going to keep on getting what you've always got." I sensed God speaking to my heart that we must be willing to explore and make changes in order to go to the next level. Since then, we are doing that. And I can honestly say there are some positive results, and it is still very early in the process.

I can also say that I have already changed my mind about one change I made. With the beginning of the school year, several parents suggested we begin our midweek service 30 minutes earlier. After several weeks of indecision, I made the call. We changed the time. After one service, my wife and I both felt the same thing. The earlier time seemed to create a hurried sense. It hindered some whose work schedule already made attendance difficult. Some of the very parents who asked for it somehow forgot their child is involved in extracurricular activities, so the early start prohibits them from arriving on time, or even attending at all.

I am not like coach John Fox, of the Carolina Panthers. (I am a fan, and Charlotte is nearby) I am not in love with Jake Delhomme and I am not married to him for my quarterback. Or, let me put it this way- I am not married to a concept, a time slot, or an idea-- if it ain't working, I know how to pull the plug. And it won't take me all season to do it. Yeah, you guessed it- The midweek service is now back at the regular time.

What? That pastor can't make up his mind, you say! Thank you. I appreciate the compliment. It means I can readily adapt to change, fresh ideas, and new concepts. It means I can turn from what isn't working. And the good news is, so can you!

No comments: