Wednesday, September 2, 2009

When my heart says O, and God says No

Have you ever been through seasons in life where your heart is breaking? Where you prayed for a healing that did not come? A job that you were better qualified to went to someone else. Or for a relationship to be mended, but it would not be. A marriage that failed, friends that turned on you. The feelings of betrayal can be the most shattering of all. Sometimes you cry, you reason, you pray. And all you're left with is a big O. No, not O as in Oh my, but an O as in deep pain. It hurts.

What hurts worse is that it seems that in spite of all your efforts for a positive outcome, God has turned His head. Heaven is silent. It seems He isn't listening, or doesn't care. Its as if God is saying No, no matter how much you cry and pray. You can find yourself questioning and wondering where is God in all of this.

You are not alone in thinking that perhaps Jesus is unconcerned with your pain. Others were in the bible. The disciples were in the storm at sea. They cried, questioning if Jesus cared that the waves were beating against them. In fear, they thought they would perish in the storm. What they were about to see was the ONE who calm the sea speak to the storm, and it would cease. But in their mind, it was over.

Most of us have had those seasons of life. You know... the "O" seasons. Joseph had it, Job had it, Daniel in the lion's den had it. The list goes on throughout the bible. Hebrews chapter 11 speaks of some of them. The "O" seasons, and the "No" seasons.

Yes, sometimes there is a No from God. The victory you prayed for did not come. You buried a loved one. You lost a well paying job. A close friend turned on you. Your mate of 15 years left you for another. I confess to you that I am not religious enough to have an answer for everything. I don't know why it seems some who are less spiritual and more distant from God seem to have greater blessings than others who have sacrificed their lives.

There are times when I think I am preaching to myself. After all, our family has gone through its share of trials and tribulations. And this summer has been one of the worst. My son in law lost his 5 year battle with cancer. My dad lost his year long battle with cancer. Both my mom and my daughter are struggling. Yes, Trish and I have been battle scarred through the years. But I really am not writing about my pain, and we are not alone in life's battles. Some of you are facing a situation that looks hopeless. You don't know what to do. It is to you I reach out to. My heart lifts you up to Jesus.

For this one thing I know... when your heart says O, and God says No-- He is still God, and He is still good. The fact that you are still breathing is an indication that God isn't through with you. He will help you through what you are going through. The winds may blow, but this shall pass. Joseph made it from the pit to the palace. Job ended up with twice as much. They made it, so can you. Hang in there, don't give up.

God has great plans for you. The storm will pass, and you will survive. All through the word of God are people who were broken at one point in life, only to find that the God who called them raised them up. You are one of those. You are more than a conqueror. You may not look like it or feel like it. But neither does a diamond in the ground. It needs to be discovered, uncovered, and crafted. A diamond undiscovered is still a diamond. A cocoon is a beautiful butterly in waiting. He has promised to give you beauty for ashes.Yeah, it's ok to cry. The good news is you're going to make it. I believe that sometimes God's Nos are for a greater yes. Your yes is coming!

No comments: