Sunday, January 18, 2009

I HAVE A DREAM

We celebrate Martin Luther King today, and we give honor unto him. I am old enough (55) to remember segments of his speeches. I can also remember the discrimination that existed. Dr. King had a dream that people would not be judged by the color of their skin. Thankfully, my children grew up without knowing the depths of racism and prejudice, although it still exists to some extent today.

I am also old enough to remember the "white only" signs on doors of cafeterias, laundromats, and various businesses. I remember my dad going up north to buy used cars, and taking one of his employees with him. The black employees could not sleep in the motels, and my dad hated it.

I don't pretend to know or understand some of the things my African American friends contend with today. I don't view myself as being prejudiced in any way, although I know it still exists in our society and culture. And although we may not have seen the totality of Dr. King's dream come to fulfillment, I believe it is to some extent being fulfilled. The dream lives because a man dared to dream it, dared to pursue it, and dared to put his all on the line for it.

Tomorrow we will inaugurate our next President. He is a man of color. For many in my circles, he was not the choice. Some of his views and stances run opposite of ours. But the fact remains that he is our president. As such, we should pray for him continually. He will need the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

Dr. Martin Luther King had a dream, and today the dream lives. There are dreams locked up inside each of us. I have a dream and a passion for our community and church. I preach and teach it constantly. It involves reaching the unchurched, evangelizing the community, region, and reaching to the nations of the world. I have a dream of building a local church that is strong in the power of the Holy Spirit, that sets the captives free. I have a dream of building up and equipping people of all ages, creeds, and cultures. Sorry, the preacher is coming out of me, now.

But the dream lives. I want to encourage you to dare to dream today!

No comments: