Saturday, January 3, 2009

I'D RATHER FEAST THAN FAST

Sorry to confess that I'm not one of those fasting preachers. I'm one of the feasting kind. In my earlier days of ministry, I would periodically fast. I know that those times were precious in the preparation for what God was going to do in my life.

Fasting doesn't necessarily move God, it moves us. It brings the flesh into submission, so that we can be alert to the dealings and movings of the Holy Spirit. I know this: more than my body craves food, my spirit craves God. That is why I have called for a fast next week at our church. Many churches and ministries do so at the first of each year. Some join Jentezen Franklin's call to a 21 day (Daniel type) fast. Our call is for 7 days, from Monday to Monday.

I am now shifting into that mode of getting my heart and my stomach ready. I really want to hear from Him, and I want to shut out anything that may get in the way. That includes this thing I am on right now- the internet. So, at least for now, I will not be surfing the web, blogging, or such. I will limit my time on the computer for needed research and study, and that's it. My fast will include not only some meals, sweets (ouch), the computer, and anything else I sense from the Lord that I need to abstain from during this time.

Yeah, I'd rather feast than fast. But if I keep on doin' what I've been doin', I'm gonna keep on gettin' what I've been gettin'.

And in plain old southern hillbilly talk, THAT AINT GOOD ENOUGH!

No comments: