Friday, January 15, 2010

Help for Haiti

Like you, my heart is torn for the people of Haiti. I don't think anyone can hear the news and view the pictures being shown without being touched with compassion. The earthquake has crippled what was already a nation in dire need. Emergency teams are arriving to respond, but the need is great. The restoration process will not be overnight.

Personally, I have had a place in my heart for the nation for about 15 years. On our first missions trip to the Dominican Republic, we worked in a very poor village near the Haitian border. Our team was providing clothes to the children, food and gifts, and holding services in that particular area, as well as working on a church. On one of the days while there, we took some time to go to the Haitian border. They allowed us to cross over into Haiti. I remember walking from the D.R. into the Haiti and praying for the people of that land.

We (our church) are not personally involved in ministry, but we have some contacts who are. Friends in ministry, missionaries with links there, and pastors whose churches are actively serving in the nation. Some of them are already in contact with their people there, some are planning on going or sending relief.

Our missionary friend, Danny Stone, who serves in the Dominican Republic, has sent information about a team there, along with all their needs. I will post it in the church (send me a request if you wish to receive it). As there are many reliable avenues to send help through, I am not sure as I write which one we will use. But this I do know. We WILL do something. Our small church family has always responded, both locally, nationally, and internationally.

This Sunday, January 15, we will receive a special offering for Haiti. ALL monies received will go directly to the emergency relief there. Thank you, and God bless you, for your response.

No comments: