Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I will bless

"I will bless the Lord at all times, his praise shall continually be in my mouth." Psalm 34:1

I love the Psalms. I love to read them, quote them, and even sing them. The book of Psalms is one of my favorites of the bible. The irony of my statement is that, although I love to preach from Psalms, I confess that I don't always practice what I preach. I miss it sometimes.

For example, sometimes I complain. I get upset over trivial things. I am bothered by someone's response, or the weather, or the guy in front of me going too slow. The drive through at McDonald's didn't get my order right. These are just examples, but they relate to things that can happen during the typical week. And, unlike some, I am high energy, high maintenance type personality. I have taken the test. My dna drives me, but without the discipline of the Holy Spirit, it can also hinder me.

The last few days have presented challenges. Some good, some difficult. I awoke this morning thinking that instead of allowing the outside circumstances to dictate how my day went, I would set myself in the word and establish God in the day. A few minutes of meditation brought this psalm to my mind. Let's look at it:

I WILL- I choose to do so. It is a personal decision. No one can do it for me. I WILL

BLESS- The Hebrew word is barak. Strong's Concordance uses a number of words to define, which include abundantly bless, to kneel before, thank

THE LORD- Think about it. God blesses us every day. Have you taken time to bless Him back?

AT ALL TIMES- Not sometime. Not when things are going well. Not just when I have money in the account. In other words, my life will be an expression of praise and blessing unto the Lord.

HIS PRAISE- Hebrew word palal. A song of praise

SHALL CONTINUALLY- Constantly, perpetually, regularly

BE IN MY MOUTH- One of the words used to define this word in the original language is to boast. The Psalmist was declaring that he would boast of the goodness of God.


I hope you enjoy the devotion this morning. Be blessed, in Jesus' name!

No comments: