Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Love expressed


Love is a beautiful thing, isn't it? I performed a wedding ceremony the other day of a young couple. As they held each other's hands and repeated their vows, it reminded me of the love I have for my wife of thirty seven years. Our love has not diminished, but has grown. Through good times, and bad times, joyful times, and sad times, it has stood.

Love is both overstated and understated in our English language. I love chocolate cake, I love sports, I love cars. I love my wife, family, grandchild. I love Jesus. As you see, though the same word is used, it applies to different things. And it goes without saying that my love for cake is not the same as my love for my family, or for God.

Love is more than a word. It is a choice, and it is an act. Love is expressed. It states something, shows something, does something. Read the thirteenth chapter of the book of Corinthians in the bible. Read it in a contemporary version. You will see how true love is expressed.

Love is expressed with a kiss. I have included a picture with this blog. It was taken yesterday from my cell phone. Although the pic is not good quality, it captured the essence of what I call, "love expressed." It was a beautiful spring like day here in North Carolina yesterday. Zach (my grandson) and I decided we would ride on the golf cart. We also decided to let Buster (Zach's lab) ride with us. As you can see, the moment Buster got on the golf cart, he decided to give Zachary a kiss. Zach is trying to brace himself and turn from Buster's slobber as I capture the view on my cell phone.

Have you expressed your love today to someone? Have you told God that you love Him and are thankful for what He has done in your life? What about that mate, child, teen? What about someone you work with or go to church with? No, you don't have to plant a kiss on them? But an encouraging word will do!

No comments: