Monday, June 9, 2008

AS THE DOG PANTS AFTER THE WATER FOUNTAIN...

I saw an unusual sight the other day....

We have an outside water fountain at the church. It stands probably around 5 or 6 foot to the top, and has 3 bowls, the largest being at the bottom, and the smaller ones ascending to the top. At the tip of the fountain is the opening spring of water that comes from the pump located at the base.

I love running water. I also have a fountain in my pool that shoots water up into the air. I love the sound of the waves crashing at the ocean, of a running brook. It is refreshing to me. And so, our church water fountain is both a place of beauty and refreshing.

Now back to the unusual sight, and the theme of the blog. I actually didn't see this firsthand, but the ladies and kids at the daycare did. Someone had looked out the window and noticed a dog in the bottom tier of the water fountain. They took a picture of it. It appeared to be a short mutt of about 3 feet in length, and maybe a foot to two foot tall. I'm not sure how the dog reached the bottom tier of the fountain, which is about 3 foot from the ground. But there he was, laying in the fountain. Apparently the 100 degree heat of the last few days got to him, and he had to have some water. It didn't appear from the picture that the fountain had been turned on, but it was apparent he was enjoying the water, nonetheless.

The picture and the story they told me at the daycare reminded me of the scripture from Psalms, where David said, "As the dog pants after the water fountain..."

Now, before you get mad at me, I know David said as the deer pants after the water brook. I was just paraphrasing. The deer David saw and the dog our daycare kids and staff saw had the same thing in mind: on a hot and dry day, they needed the fountain of water to quench their thirst David was using an analogy to paint a picture of being thirsty after God.

Gotta go... I hear the water fountain of my pool calling. Hey, by the way, we've got a lot of deer in this neck of the woods. If I see one at the church fountain, or at my pool, I'll let you know.
In the meantime, if you're thirsty, there is a thirst quenching water of the Holy Spirit that is available.

Be Blessed,
Pastor Ronnie

No comments: