Monday, June 9, 2008

IT'S THE ECONOMY...

Sometimes I think the politicians just don't get it. I try to keep any political opinions to myself, and not use the pulpit for a platform for either side of the political system. But it seems the Washington politicians leave us wondering if anyone out there really understands the little guy.

I watched some of the earlier debates of the past year, both of the Republicans and the Democrats. I liked some of what Governor Huckabee had to say. However, unlike some of my pastor friends and church members, I don't think his being a former pastor qualifies him for the position. I also liked some of what our North and South Carolina native said. John Edwards spoke of his roots, his dad working in the cotton mill. But it seemed that his platform was too narrow. I got tired of hearing the same sermon, er, political speech about cotton mills. Most of us around here had family that worked in cotton mills.

So now the field is narrowed to two. We will choose from the oldest or youngest to run for president The youngest, Senator Obama, promises plenty. What people fail to realize is some of the plenty he is promising comes from raises in taxes. You see, money doesn't grow on trees. So every promise he makes, and he is making plenty, must be met by an ability to produce the said promise. Then, there's Senator McCain. Some of his ideas are as old as his platform backgrounds... stuck in the 80s. And there is the concern that he will keep us in the same direction of the current administration. While I support some of the decisions of the President, it is painfully apparent that in all his attempts at providing a safe world for us, we have become a nation that has forgotten about its own. President Bush is not to blame for everything bad going on in the economy, but he must carry the burden of a lot of it. And another 4 or 8 years of this direction may bankrupt America.

Even the stars are being affected. Ed McMahon is about to lose his multimillion dollar house. Same with Evander Hollifield. Pardon me if I don't have a lot of sympathy for the multi extravagant lifestyles of the rich and famous, but here in the real world, the little people are struggling. People who make $6 an hour and pay $4 for a gallon of gas. People whose groceries, utilities, and pretty much everything affected has been raised, while they have lost their jobs or are working part time.

Raise the minimum wage? It's easy to say. Have you considered the small business that barely makes ends meet to survive? I have. We have one. Our daycare is an extension of ministry. By the time we pay our staff, cover the cost of taxes, insurance, and costs of operation, there is nothing left. Our teachers have been at the same pay scale for 2 and 1/2 years. The only option I have to change it is to charge more for keeping the kids. The fee hasn't been raised during this time, and it is difficult for me to even consider it. You see, I understand. To raise fees to a family that doesn't have enough money left to put food on the table is a decision I don't want to make. And so, we operate on a shoestring budget and a prayer.

Trish and I raised 4 kids on a minimum salary. There were times our kids couldn't get school pictures, couldn't go to the show, couldn't do some things the other kids could do. I understand completely what it is to not have an extra dollar. I did thirty years ago, when we were raising our kids. And I do today.

It's the economy. If somebody in Washington can fix it, they'll get my vote. I'll preach Jesus, win the lost, and reach out to the community with a vibrant church. I am one among many that can help fix the spiritual climate. We need some help with the economic.

That's it for today. Give me your feedback on these or other blogs.

Be Blessed,
Pastor Ronnie

No comments: