Monday, June 23, 2008

TAKE A BREAK, BEFORE YOU BREAK

Sometimes life can get hectic. The busyness of the daily routine, the work schedule, school, home duties, family cares. This doesn't include church involvement, community events, and all the things that take a bite out of your week. And so, we find ourselves worn emotionally, physically, and even spiritually. The Psalmist David spoke about a heart that was overwhelmed. I've been there, and you have, too!

Someone a number of years ago gave a name to this syndrome as "burnout". Burnout is when you have burned the candle on both ends, and have no more to give. Burnout is when you're going through the motions, but your gas tank is empty. Burnout is when physically you may be ok, but you feel as if you go through another day with the same routine, you're going to go crazy. I know what burnout is, 'cause I've been there.

Jesus told his disciples on one occasion to take a break. He said, get away into a quiet place, a secluded place. (Mark 5:31) In the midst of the disciples giving Jesus the report of all their great accomplishments, of the lives that had been changed in the meetings, the Lord got real spiritual with them... He said, take a break before you break.. Come apart, before you come apart. That's not what it said in KJV, but that's what is says in RRSS (Ronnie's redneck southern slang).

The Lord knew the importance of being replenished. So, yes, he did get real spiritual. In essence, he was saying, your body cannot keep up this pace. Get away, enjoy yourselves, rest and have recreation.

That's what I am doing this week. I'm taking a break with my family. It's our annual family getaway. We had looked forward to this time for several months now. The rental house at Ocean Lakes had been paid for in advance, reservations had been made. I desperately needed this break, as I was about to "break".

But then my dad went into the hospital for some tests. The tests showed a problem that needed immediate attention. Surgery would be required the next day. Some more difficult news regarding what was discovered came, but the doctor said he would deal with that later. Dad would be in the hospital for about a week, and then treatments would be set up later. Immediately I thought of cancelling our trip, but then looked at the window that had been given, and realized Dad would be at home recuperating, and then go for treatments later. However, dad didn't recover as the doctor had anticipated, and tests revealed a problem. So they went back in to correct a situation that had occurred. So daddy was put into ICC, where he remains to this point. I sent the family on Saturday, as I stayed behind. Then, Saturday night, mom, dad, brothers and sisters encouraged me to join the wife, kids, and grandkid on the vacation. And so, here I am. I sit here listening to His Radio, looking at the lake directly in front of our house, with the water fountains shooting up. It is relaxing. My bible is here, and I've gotten a fresh word from heaven this morning. But all the while, I keep thinking about daddy. It's hard to get away when you're concerned about other things.

Thanks for keeping us in your prayers. Continue to do so. Michael (son in law) will begin treatments for his stem cell transplant upon returning home.

P.S. I am blogging from a laptop Trish got for her birthday. Our emails aren't programmed in, so I don't have access to them (don't know how to get remote access). You can probably respond from this blog, and I will get it.

Blessings,
Pastor Ronnie

No comments: