Monday, April 20, 2009

Outlooks and Uplooks

I am not sure when or where I first heard the expression... "If you don't like the outlook, try the uplook." The phrase comes to my mind this morning. It is Monday, and I am out of coffee as I rise up to face the day. I am thinking about things in general- life, goals, challenges.

Had a great day yesterday at church. There was an awesome move of God. Attendance was down a little. Folks at the mountains, the beach, sick. A small church takes the hit more noticeably when several families are away. My mind is racing as I plan several projects and attempt to think of ways to bring a fresh wave of growth. I realize it is not all UP to me, but sometimes I feel it is all ON me.

Thinking about things going on around us: the economic climate has affected people's lives here in rural western North Carolina. 16% unemployment at the latest count, and crime is up in the county. People ask if this has affected giving in the church. Don't mean to be sarcastic, but what do you think? Of course it has. My mind races also to some other situations going on around me: marriage situations that needed our prayers and counseling, family problems, and more of the usual in church life.

Yeah, the outlook sometimes seems bleak. And I will admit that I have often given out when I felt like my own gas tank was on reserve or empty. Run? I have thought of it before, have you? And there are times in life when it is not ONE thing that puts you at your limit, it is just ANOTHER thing. Like the proverb about the straw that broke the camel's back.

I am not intending on having a broke back. But last week something happened that got my attention. My blood pressure shot up dangerously high. I know it was a combination of things that led to this. My family has a history of such problems, so I can say it is in the genes. Plus, the improper eating habits and lack of exercise have caused me to continue to gain weight I do not need. And then there is the stress that goes along with the position I hold.

Outlooks and Uplooks. I realize for my outlook to change, I must change my uplook. I cannot continue to look at things from my vantage point. We must view them from God's. We must also change what we can. But the ultimate challenge for us each day is not whether there will be problems and stress, but how we deal with them.

I've decided I am not going to look out today-- I am going to look up!

No comments: