Thursday, April 16, 2009

Roller Coasters

Life is sometimes like a roller coaster ride. You have the exhilarating highs that are filled with anticipation and excitement. You also have the times when the bottom seems to drop out and you hold on for dear life.

I have never been one to hold my hands up in the air at the very top of the roller coaster, when it is about to make the big drop. I love the adrenaline of speed that will come, but I am fearful of heights and sudden falling. So I hold my head down and hang on for dear life.

In life there are cycles. There are the high highs and the low lows. We learn to enjoy the high times and endure the low times. The last few weeks have been somewhat of a low spot for me. It has not been one thing, but a combination of things that have brought this about. Of course, the passing of my father has been the hardest to deal with. Since then, I find myself sort of numb.

I generally attempt to write something that will inspire and encourage. But when you are drained, the opposite can come out, if you not careful. And I find myself functioning from that vein. I want my every action to be productive, and there have been some times recently when they have not been.

I like riding some roller coasters. I love the rush, the thrill of the speed. It is the emotional roller coasters I don't like. When God told Joshua to take courage, it was like he was saying, You can't go where I am going to take you walking in fear and discouragement, get yourself strong, son. That is my version of Joshua chapter one. I preached it this past Wednesday. Yes, Lord. With You, I can ride the high times and the down times.


1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Pastor Ronnie... I want you to imagine the Lord being on the roller coaster right beside you,,, you're both travelling up, up, up... He's got ahold of you,,, He won't let you go. Now, in your mind's eye, I want you to lift your hands, knowing that He's got you in the palms of His hands. He's got you,,, I know you know it, and you and I know you will make it through this most difficult time. You are loved with an everlasting love, my friend. May God's presence feel more real to you than the pain that you're experiencing.