Thursday, May 15, 2008

Cup of Java


My coffee drinking began a good number of years ago. Shortly after getting in church, I found the "normal" drink offerings at fellowships (something we believers do on a regular basis) consisted of a choice of coffee or sweet tea (as we call it in the south). I was a coca cola drinker, and not fond of either choice. However, I learned to drink the tea and the coffee. In the early days I would add spoonfuls of sugar and a good dose of cream.
It wasn't long before I was enjoying the taste of coffee, and I guess, enjoying the stimulus of the caffeine. I would purchase instant coffee, and generally have a cup or two in the morning. Over the years as my taste for java matured, I found that instant coffee didn't contain the rich aroma and taste I experience in cafeterias. I discovered coffee was the richest when you purchase the beans, and grind them yourselves.
My favorite brand of coffee is Millstone. I like the Columbian Supreme. I don't want flavored coffee. If I wanted chocolate, I would get a Hershey bar. When I want coffee, that is all I want-- coffee. I want it black, extra strong. I also want it ground in expresso.
I typically go through a pound every week. It runs around $9 a pound at Wal-Mart. I have found that about once every 2 months someone puts the wrong coffee in the wrong slot. You see, the system at the Millstone coffee spot in Wal-Mart is that the coffee is in the dispensers, each marked as to the flavor. But every once in a while someone puts another blend in the Columbian Supreme spot. I think it might be breakfast blend, or something. I am not sure what flavor it is, but I am sure what flavor it is not. Whether intentionally due to a shortage, or by accident through carelessness, I am paying for a blend of coffee I do not really enjoy. I haven't complained to Wal-Mart, as I don't want to look like an old fool, and I don't want to get some stock boy in trouble.
There it is-- my blog for today. As you can see, I am running low on blogging material. But I have learned to be a little cautious in my blogging. I have found that there actually are some people out there reading this. I posted something a couple of weeks ago about one monkey don't stop shows, and several wanted to know who the monkey was. So I am not venting anymore about rebellious monkeys, or anything like that. Just simple things like this bad coffee I paid a fortune for.
Hey, maybe there's a point for writing this after all. What you see on the outside is not what you always get on the inside. Some profess one thing, but are actually something else. Wow, I feel a sermon coming up. The Sunday morning message just might be, "What flavor is the java?"
Y'all be blessed,
Pastor Ronnie

No comments: