Sunday, May 18, 2008

NARROW MINDEDNESS

I was in line at Wendy's today. We had gone there for lunch, and I was waiting in line to get some frosties for me and a couple of kids. A guy in front of me began talking about the weather. I spoke back to him. I didn't know him, and he didn't know me, but we were being friendly. No sooner had he spoken about the weather than he began talking about the elections. He said, "I believe Obama is going to get it", referring to the presidency. I said, yeah, there's a good chance he might. I was trying to be non committal as I didn't want to get into a political discussion in a Wendy's line. He continued, "there will probably be an assassination if he gets it". I didn't take it that he was giving any kind of threat, only an opinion. He also said, "if that happens, it will be trouble". Thankfully his order came up, and the conversation ended.

It would have ended at the point with me, regardless. If I have any problems with Senator Obama, it would be on his policies, and not on his skin color. A black man that is qualified is no less deserving of the position than a white man. Race and skin tone have nothing to do with it.

I walked away thinking of how much prejudice continues to exist, especially here in the south. And I thought of narrow minded thinking, especially among the white males of the boomer and up generation.

God deliver us from narrow minded people who wouldn't vote for a man because of his color.

This in no way implies I am supporting Senator Obama. I am just fed up with bigotry.

That's it for tonight.

Pastor Ronnie

No comments: