Tuesday, May 20, 2008

JON LESTER'S COMEBACK STORY

Sometimes I go several days, even a week, without blogging. Part of the reason is the busy schedule, partly because I am physically and emotionally drained, and also because I have nothing to say. That's the thing about blogs- there are no set rules as what or when.

So today I have a second blog, and it's only 9 AM. Watching SportCenter and catching up on overnight sports news, I saw where Jon Lester pitched a no hitter last night for the Boston Red Sox. If you are not up on baseball, you may not know that pitching a no hitter is a rare feat. Some of the greatest pitchers of all time never produced a no hitter. What is more amazing is the story behind this story.

Somewhere in the late summer/early fall of 2006, it was discovered that Jon had lymphoma cancer. The name cancer is one of the most feared that I know. It takes young and old. It's grasp has no boundaries. My mother in law passed away 9 years ago with cancer. Our church participates annually in the National Cancer Society Relay for Life. We have had members pass away with cancer, and we have had survivors of cancer. We have some who are presently battling the disease. Now, back to Jon.

He received treatments for his lymphoma. Lymphoma has several stages, I think 4, but I am not sure. Each higher stage means the risk factor is higher and the percentage of survival is lower. I am not sure what stage Jon had, but he went through his treatment, and it was successful. Last year during the World Series, he was scheduled to pitch when Boston's scheduled pitcher, Tim Wakefield, could not because of an ailing shoulder. Lester was injected into the game, and won the clinching game of the World Series. And now, the no hitter.

Talk about a comeback! I just felt inspired to blog today to those of you who may have gone through something that set you back. It might have been a relationship that went bad, a marriage or friendship. It may have been loss of job, loss of loved ones to premature death. You may feel emotionally, physically, and spiritually bankrupt. You may be facing a disease that threatens your existence. But God allows comebacks. It is not over for you. As long as you have faith and determination, you can arise again, and succeed.

While thinking about Jon Lester, I can't help but thinking about my son in law, Michael Armstrong. 3 years ago Michael discovered he had lymphoma, stage 4. He underwent numerous treatments, with very little success. He and my daughter Tina have had ups and downs through the process, but have fought and endured. Through a lot of trials and tears, prayers and fears, they have withstood this thing. Michael continues to receive treatment, but treatment has now been positive, and the outlook is looking better each day!

I just want to tell you that comebacks are possible. Dreams can come true. They did for Jon Lester. They can for you!

Blessings,
Pastor Ronnie

No comments: