Friday, December 19, 2008

LIVE LIFE TO THE FULL


Jesus spoke on several occasions about bringing joy into our lives. He said that he had come that we might have life to the full. The word full in the text is defined as living to the max, abundant, overflowing. In other words, he wants us to enjoy life. Being a Christian doesn't mean that I have to wait until I die and go to heaven to have and enjoy life. I can have abundance of life, joy, and peace right now.

Often our response to situations causes us to lose our joy. Being negative minded can rob you of your joy, your peace, and even your health. We must learn to discipline ourselves to respond in every situation with a God kind of response. Exercise faith, keep believing, hold on- those are not just mere words, they are important truths to grasp when facing life's battles.

I am around kids daily. Our church has a daycare, and each day when I enter, I go through the classes. The children hug me, and I hug them back. They are so full of love and joy. Our church kids do the same. And our youth group has grown. I find myself getting hugs all the time. I guess it's one of the perks of getting older :) But the kids and youth are full of life. I don't enjoy being around people that don't enjoy themselves, don't want to have fun.

I frequently talk about my grandson, Zach. He is now 4 years old, and comes home with me after lunch at the daycare daily. Wow, he is full of energy and joy. Trish and I sometimes feel as if we are out of place around some of the folks our age. They want to sit around and do nothing.

Not me. I want to race you on the go carts and win. I want to beat you at Checkers. I want to play and run. Look at the lights, sing Christmas carols, play that game they call Chinese something (can't think of it) where you swap gifts around. I want to see the glimmer in the eyes of someone who has just accepted Jesus, and to hold a baby in my arms that has just been dedicated to the Lord. I want to marry a young couple and tell him that he can kiss his bride. I want to stand in the rain, see the mountain peaks, watch the ocean waves come in.

I want to live life to the full. I wont begrudge the money I spend on gifts (it's less this year) or any of the other things that go with the season. When someone tells me their kids are grown so they "don't do Christmas" or don't put up the lights or Christmas tree, I feel sad for them. And I think how hard it must be to grow up. I've decided if that is what it means, I never will.

Gotta run-- I am in my office today at church, but gotta run and hug some kids. Tonight we're going with them to see the lights. Yay, Me!

Pastor Ronnie, signing off- And living life to the full!

No comments: