Tuesday, December 23, 2008

WALMART GREETINGS

I was doing some last minute shopping at Wal Mart this morning. I usually do my own checkout, but one item I purchased required them to bring it out and needed the assistance of a check out person. Upon paying for my items, the lady at the counter said, "Happy Holiday." Without any pre-thinking on my part, I answered, "Merry Christmas." As I said in a blog a couple of days ago, the happy holiday thing doesn't appeal to me.

As I was walking out with my items, I was thinking about what she had said, and was glad I had the response that included the word Christmas. I wasn't being preachy, I just want to use Christ in my "holiday" greetings.

As you know, Walmart has greeters at the entrance, along with people assigned as you are leaving. I am not sure what their title is, but they are basically the checkers, in case the alarm goes off on something that wasn't scanned properly, or to catch anyone who might be trying to steal an item. There was a lady as I was exiting, one of these checker persons, who also had a greeting- but this one didn't say "Have a Happy Holiday", she said "Have a Blessed Christmas."

Wow- two ladies, both with greetings, and both were cordial. But I found myself somewhat offened by the non offensive "holiday" wish, while I was blessed by the "Blessed Christmas" wish. The first lady was probably doing what she was supposed to do, and the second one, I'm sure, would be offensive to some- but not me.

I agree with the Wal Mart checker/greeter. I hope you have a Blessed Christmas!

No comments: