Saturday, December 13, 2008

Value the important things

This is a busy time of the year. The shopping, decorating, attending church functions, family gatherings can be both enjoyable and stressful. It is more so this year for many. The economic situation makes it difficult for many to spend as they have in the past on gifts for family and friends. Surviving to pay the bills and stay afloat is enough pressure, without the added guilt of not having enough money to buy the little ones or mom and dad Christmas gifts.

The holidays also are typically a time of added stress for those who are going through a crisis of some sort. You may have an aging parent whose health is deteriorating, a loved one battling a disease, or going through a separation or divorce. You may feel stressed, worried, all alone.

It is important in these times to remember the important things of life, and to value them. My aging father is battling cancer, and will have surgery in January. He says this may be his last Christmas. The fact is that none of us are guaranteed tomorrow. But when you are facing such things, you value the days you have. There are so many things we take for granted. Like family, friends, loved ones.

I remember hearing the song several months ago by Trace Adkins, "You're going to miss this." The song tells the story of a young lady going through several phases of her life, and the point of the story is to value the precious days. Days of growing up at home with mom and dad, of marriage, of raising the kids.

This year I need to remind myself to value the things that are important. No, I can't spend as I want to on the family as in the past. But I have them. I have a loving home, a wife who has stood with me through the years. The old Beatle song says "money can't buy me love." I have a wonderful church family. Most of all, I have the Lord in my life. He has saved me and given me a purpose. He has given me a hope and a future.

Remember us in your prayers. Continue to pray for my dad, and for my son in law, Michael. Michael has had some set backs from his stem cell transplant, and is going through some great difficulty. Please remember him and Tina, and encourage them.

Blessings,
Pastor Ronnie

No comments: