Thursday, May 21, 2009

Breaking up is hard to do

I am old enough to remember the line and the tune to the hit song by Neil Sadaka, "Breaking up is hard to do." The words to a verse... " Don't take your love away from me Don't you leave my heart in misery If you go then I'll be blue Cause breaking up his hard to do." Obviously, it was a love song written from one lover to another who had decided to no longer be so.

Breakups are usually hard, aren't they? The break up of a marriage, the break up of friendships, the break up of partnerships in business or ministry. There are all sorts of splits in the world, and they usually carry some degree of pain. The fact is, we get used to things as they are.

Breakups are not always a bad thing. They represent change, restructure, transition. They are sometimes necessary because we get stuck where we are. We need something new to challenge us. Yes, to go to a new place sometimes requires a new paradigm.

I am in the process of thinking. What can I do to be most effective for the kingdom? What is it that I am doing that is not productive, not beneficial? What areas of my life, if any, need a "break up?" What takes too much of my time, my focus, and my energy?

One of the things for me is the use of the very thing I am at now~ the computer, the internet. It is a valuable resource, but I sometimes abuse my time here. Posting on my blog, facebook, and twitter. Checking what others are saying. Idol chit chat. Yes, it allows me interaction with friends. But I sometimes fail to discipline myself. What if I were to give the time I do to social networking simply to prayer and the word of God? Not that I am not praying and studying, but that would definitely be more time before Him.

I'm just thinking... not saying. But in case you don't see me for a while or if I just go off completely, it's not about you- it's about Him! Not saying I will, but not saying I want...

Breaking up is hard to do-- (but there's got to be less of me, and more of Jesus)

Love and Prayers,
Pastor Ronnie

No comments: