Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Feeling naked

I am missing a part of me that I have grown so accustomed to that I hardly notice it any more. It is an article I have proudly worn for thirty eight years of marriage. I am speaking of my wedding ring. I took it off today. The moment I did, I felt somewhat naked.

I tried to think of other times through the years I have taken off my ring, but could not think of an instance. And yet, I know I have. I have had several different wedding bands through these years, all from the same wife. She bought the one I now proudly wear probably eight to ten years ago.

My reason for taking off the ring had nothing at all to do with a decision on our part to terminate our marriage. And no, it is not because of an argument we are having. The decision is based entirely on comfort. I had poison oak on my fingers, and the ring is in a place where there is irritation. So for the next few days I will be without the ring.

Walking into Wal Mart today, I became aware of the missing ring. I wondered if anyone noticed I was not wearing it. I thought of what kind of signal it would send. I felt a little naked.

I am thankful for my ring. More importantly, I am thankful for what it represents- a union that is cherished of a marriage that makes me complete. Yes, I am happily married. And missing my ring... and feeling a little naked in the meantime.

No comments: