Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Dial D for Devil

It has taken me a couple of weeks to get up the nerve to write about the phone call. In case my wife reads this, please look for me buried under the house, or hung up on a nearby phone pole :)

The phone rang and Trish answered. I was in another room, and walked in as the call was going on. It was someone asking for me. Let me preface this by saying that I am a jokester. I will pick on and tease anyone. Some of my best friends are ones whom I tease and pick on, and they do so back to me. Trish is not, by nature, one who does so. She occasionally reels me in if I get to having too much fun. But occasionally she will attempt to joke. She always says she gets in trouble when she does so, it backfires, or someone doesn't know how to take her.

Back to the phone call. Someone was asking for me. They told who they were. It was a former pastor who had some problems and got out of church. I hadn't heard from him in probably 15 years. He told his name. However, Trish thought it was our youth pastor. He is always calling someone and disguising his voice, pretending to be someone else. He and I had been texting prior to the phone call. Trish did not look at the caller ID, she just assumed Scott was pretending to be this person. He knows pretty much everyone, and will pull names out of the hat. So the caller is asking for me. Trish, thinking it is Scott attempting to pull one over on her by stating he is someone else, tells the caller that I am not there.

The person asks if she knows how he might get in touch with me. She answers, "Dial D for Devil."
The caller is perplexed, and in an instant my wife realizes this is not our youth pastor on the other end. Embarrassed, she drops the phone, I pick it up and talk to the caller.

D for Devil? Surely you jest. I am: Mighty man of God, anointed, pastor, leader, teacher, mentor, missionary, writer, blogger. Did I mention singer, guitarist, etc, etc, applause, applause.

But D for Devil can at times be accurate. My attitude at times stinks. There are times when I want to get even. Times when there is too much of me and too little of Christ.

I know my wife was teasing. She loves me and honors me at all times. Trish has never referred to me as a devil. But she knows all about me, my strengths and my weaknesses. Yes, there are some areas I need God to work on.

Want to get to the place where if you want me you dial C for Christ!

No comments: