Monday, May 11, 2009

Feeling Disconnected?

It began a week or so ago now. I don't remember the exact day as I sit this morning in my office. I canceled my land line phone. With the convenience of cell phones now, and the cost compared, I figured I would save myself fifty bucks a month.

The problems then began. Apparently I was supposed to contact ATT about my decision, as it would effect my DSL. As a result my DSL was disconnected. I immediately called the phone company, and someone on the other end assured my that my internet would be reconnected by the next day at 7 PM. It was not connected at 7 that day, so the next morning I call the phone company again.

Have you ever tried to talk to someone in a large corporation. There are 20 numbers in the phone book to call, and somehow I have dialed the wrong number. I get automated voice after automated voice, until I finally get to speak to a live person. Unfortunately that person speaks English about as well as I speak Spanish... pokito. Blood pressure rising, I assure myself it's going to be alright... another promise. This time it will be connected within 24 hours. Guess what? Yeah, you're getting it, still not connected.

By the time I have called several times and waited expectantly to have internet at home, it is the weekend. So here it is Monday morning, and I am still waiting to be connected. Go to the gym and work out, then come to the office. Make another call, get another person who doesn't speak English clearly. By this time I am ready to make a statement. I tell this person my frustration and that I just want to know when I am going to have my service back. After another 15 -20 minutes of communication, I think by now I have made my point well. Hanging up the phone, the lady says, "Have a blessed day."

Ouch. I understood that one very well. Just what I needed. God, was that a set up? I felt conviction running down my spine. After I had obviously been somewhat to the point...ok, I'll admit it, rude, she hopes I have a blessed day.

The problem was that I felt I had been unfairly disconnected. Have you ever felt that way? Disconnected by those who excluded you? Marriage problems disconnections, relationship problems disconnections. People leave you out of plans. You feel out of the loop. Why don't they invite you out to lunch after church? There are all sorts of disconnections.

We want to be connected, don't we. Connected to a family, to a community, to a church. We need the warm embrace of friends to be there to enjoy life with and to stand with us in times of crisis. I had a call last night from a dear friend. It was good to reconnect.

I hope today you get connected. If you need a connection, just give me a holler. That's southern talk for contact me. If I don't answer you right back, it probably means I am out of my office and not connected yet at home.

I am offering you what the phone operator offered me- Have a Blessed Day!

No comments: