Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Kitchen Sink


I am not sure where the expression originated, or exactly sure how it goes. What I remember is "everything but the kitchen sink." From my understanding, the saying implies that the situation is pretty severe. "The devil threw everything but the kitchen sink at them" implied they were under a great onslaught and needed our prayers.

I have known people like that, haven't you? People who endured difficult times of testing. And while mine hasn't been as severe, I have felt the kitchen sink coming at me the last few days. As a matter of fact, it began with the kitchen sink. Or actually, a leaking faucet. It had been leaking for a while, and I decided to fix the problem. Great plumber and jack of all trades that I am, I went into Wal Mart and bought one of those little box of washers that costs a couple of bucks. The problem was, it was the wrong kind of washers.

By the time I figured this out, it was getting late. Wednesday night prayer service would begin shortly, so I decided I would make a trip to Lowe's the next morning to get the correct set of washers. Problem was, that when I put the faucet back as it was, it would not cut off. And my house, which was build in the mid seventies, had no cut off valve for the kitchen sink, so I had to leave the main water supply shut off.

Next day, my wife decides she wants to change the faucets rather than repair. OK by me. Faucets fixed, now on to the next problem... A little late opening my swimming pool, I began the process only to find the motor was locked up. Bought a new motor, only to find when taking the motor off the pool pump, a bolt was rung off. So another trip to the pool supply store for the pump. A grand total of $450 dollars and about two days of running around, getting washers, gaskets, and putting the thing back together. There was still a problem. A leak had developed under the concrete from the pump to the pool. Had to bust up about eight feet of concrete to replace the two water lines going into the pool. Finally, the pool is running. It has rained ever since, and I need to pour new concrete where the old was busted up.

Find out I've got a problem with a leaking hot water heater. In the process of getting it repaired, but I've got another problem. Cleaning around the yard last week, I got into some poison oak. Itching like crazy. Can't stand the discomfort.

How am I doing? Oh yeah, I didn't even mention the church problems, did I? Can't think of them right now, dealin' with my own stuff. It began with the kitchen sink :)

No comments: