Friday, August 21, 2009

INSANITY


Just the word captures our attention, doesn't it? We immediately kick into images we have seen, whether in real life or a movie, of people who had gone berserk. Not a pretty picture, is it?

The dictionary defines insanity as a deranged state of the mind; madness, craziness. Before we bring to mind all those we think either are insane or are on the border of being out of their mind, we need to explore from what perspective our opinion is based. After all, Jesus was labeled as being insane (John 10:20), and so was the Apostle Paul (Acts 26:24). I would say neither would fit our definition of insanity, but both were called that by the world who understood neither.

And that gets me to my thought today on insanity. The thought of "what if" regarding our walk, our relationship with Jesus. If we really sold out from the world and to God, would they label us? Probably. I remember a time when those of us in the church were thought of as being crazy by our family, our friends, classmates, and coworkers. When someone would get radically saved and on fire for God, they were ostracized as having "religion" and it was said that the church they were attending were doing mind control over them. No, they had just had a radical experience with the Lord that turned their life around, and affected everything about them. To the outside world, it was insanity, to the believer it was simply falling head over heels in love with Jesus.

Remember that? I'm talking to the church people, now. Remember when you were born again? Remember when God filled you with His Holy Spirit? You wanted to set the world on fire, to tell everyone about him. You prayed, read your bible, gave more than your tithes, and considered serving in the church and honor and not a burden. You were faithful.

Insanity? No. -- Sold out, on fire, committed-- Yes! That is what church was like, and the believers were like a few years ago. Seems to be a dying breed. Folks get mad if you challenge them to give, to attend church faithfully, to be committed to God. Jump ship, change churches.
Sounding a little preachy, I guess, but it is hard to hide what is inside of me.

Not to say I don't have my own shortcomings. I preached a message this past Wednesday. It was about commitment to God, and about MOVEMENT. I said that "insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results." And yet, I feel like that's what we've been doing. Let me make it a little more personal.. that's what I'VE been doing. So insanity, by way of definition can be a plus or a minus to the believer. If it means we are sold out to God, so be it. However, if it means we have become stuck in our own level of commitment or lack thereof, it is time to do something about it.

Last night, I joined in on a part of the conversation struck up by a friend of mine on facebook. She was reflecting about how we existed before the computer and cell phone, and whether we could survive without either. Several different ones got involved in on the conversation, myself included. Then, this morning, one of the ones who had posted a comment came up with a brilliant, or not so brilliant idea. "Why don't we fast them for a couple of weeks?" Silence in heaven... er, ah, in facebook world. Nothing. Nada... Zero. No response.

I thought to myself, I should take him up on that. Then I started having the shakes. Go without the computer and cell phone for two weeks? Can I? Surely God wouldn't be in that. I started to hit him up and say, let's do the cell phone one week, and the computer, the next. Mind you, I am not against either. But something struck a nerve. I keep hearing what I preached the other night. "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results."

Lately I've been crying out for breakthrough, for a real move of God. Want to see it more than anything. Whatever it is that will break me out of the stuck in the rut insanity and move me into the category of the radically on fire for God insanity, count me in.

Computers, cell phones, and all.. Like a chain smoker lighting up another cigarette, having withdrawals just thinking about it.

HOW INSANE ARE YOU?

No comments: