Tuesday, August 11, 2009

VICTORIA'S SECRET


They are located in about every mall in America, I suppose, and in some third world countries I have been in. This "women's store" features sexy lingerie, accessories, and clothing. I confess that I had to look the last two up. All I was certain of was the sexy lingerie.

I have never been into a Victoria's Secret store, and I have no plan on going. I would be about as uncomfortable in one as a Dallas cowboy at a Redskin's reunion. But I have been by many of these shops. It is difficult to walk through the mall without seeing one. And although I rarely go into a mall, during the Christmas holidays, I generally go with my wife on her shopping trips a couple of times. And each time I do, I turn my head.

NO! Not to look, indulge, stare, and lust. I turn my head the other way. I don't want to get the deer in the headlights look of turning to and not turning away. I don't want to see what I shouldn't see. Yes, I know it is all legal. Some would argue it is not dirty at all, this Victoria Secret. And in the right place, it isn't. To a married man and woman, the intimate revealings are pure. But outside of that context, it is out of bounds, so to speak.

Now that you have gotten this far, I want to tell you that I am not really talking about Victoria Secret and sexy lingerie. What I AM speaking of is when we publicly display what should be intimate or private. Those times we place our feelings and thoughts towards someone or something on public display for all to see. I think we forget sometimes that others are looking. Others who may be weak or tempted. Those who may be easily discouraged. For example, the social network sites- I am on facebook. It allows open communication. The advantages are that you can openly share your testimonies, life experiences, or what ever may be on your mind. The danger is that people sometimes abuse what should be a precious privilege. They publicly display their gripes and complaints. Things are said openly that should be said only in intimate conversations, or not at all.

Walking through the mall, I come up unaware on a Victoria Secret shop. With one glance, I have seen an image that sticks. Yes, I know there are far worse on Hardee's commercials. Nevertheless, like a country music song about trucks, mama, and booze, the image is lodged there for a while.

I saw it, but didn't want to see it. Here's a warning. There's some Victoria Secrets in the malls. Walk softly, you will see some things that are openly displayed. Same thing here. You're going to see some things. Some times I just have to look the other way... but the damage has already been done... Have to kick into warfare, lol!

No comments: