Tuesday, August 4, 2009

CHILDISH BEHAVIOR

I will say it up front. I want to act like a kid again. I know I will be scolded by some "super saints" who will quote the scripture about "putting away childish behavior" but so be it.

I prefer not to align myself with those who do not enjoy life. Jesus said that he came to give us the more abundant life. The kids have this thing figured out. Some of the adults I know seem to have lost it.

I have watched the children in our church daycare, for example. If they fight over a toy, they get over it. They don't carry grudges. They forgive and move on. Some adults I know, myself included, have carried things far longer than we ever should have. As a matter of fact we shouldn't carry them at all. People are going to hurt you. People are going to be hurt by you. Forgive. Release. Be merciful. These are Christian values. They are also the values of a child.

I'll say it again- the kids know how to enjoy life. Take, for instance, Zach- my grandson. That boy knows how to enjoy himself. And you know what? When I am around him, I am having fun, as well. As a matter of fact, get me around a room full of kids or teens, and I am enjoying myself far more than I do around people my own age. Life isn't over. Enjoy yourself. "Isn't it a pretty day? God has blessed us with this pool," Zachary was saying today as we relaxed in our backyard swimming pool. He was enjoying the blessings of the Lord on us. That's what I want. A child like heart of love, of faith, or enjoying life.

I am of the conviction that I can watch sports, go to the county fair, and ride the ocean waves and keep my spirituality. I am not into religion, I am into relationship. My relationship with Christ means I keep my conduct in line. But my Christian values do not take away the enjoyment of life. Contrary, they multiply them.

Yes, I am a pastor, a minister of the gospel. I blog, tweet, and post on facebook. I thank God for the venues provided to encourage and bless. I constantly put out inspirational thoughts. But sometimes I want to goof off, joke, talk about sports. Sometimes I want to be one of the boys, and act like a kid. No, I'm not going to cuss, fight, smoke, drink. I want to beat you in go cart races, I want my Jeff Gordon to beat your Tony Stewart. I want to laugh. I want to act like a kid at times.

Go ahead, judge me. But if growing old means I have to never laugh, never run, never play, never tease again, count me out. I want to look at the stars and be amazed, run into the ocean water and ride the waves. I want to throw snowballs, ride the roller coaster, eat ice cream while it rolls down my chin. I want to dance in the rain.

So, sign me up to Childish Behavior. I've been taking lessons in the church daycare, kid's church, and youth teams... and with Zach in the backyard pool.

No comments: