Saturday, December 12, 2009

The Christmas Card


I recognized the handwriting on the envelope immediately, as I pulled the mail from the box. It was a Christmas card. The beautiful writing addressed to my wife and I was from my mom. She always hand writes all the names and addresses. Mom has never used a computer. But unlike me, you can read her writing.

I walked slowly back across the road and to the house. I hesitated at the thought of opening the card. I knew it would be a Christmas card. She has faithfully sent them out through the years. But this would be the first year...

With tears in my eyes, I read the beautiful poem and Christmas wish. And I read the signature below, "Love, Mom." You see, this is the first Christmas card I have ever received from P.O. Box 182 without two names on it. Daddy passed away in March. His name is missing.

There's a lot of joy around the Robbins' house this year. Trish and I are staying busy. Loving God, loving our church, loving our family. But there's a couple of missing spots. Those who know us know this, and I pray will forgive me for feeling the need to write about it again. Sometimes when I feel like crying, it seems to be good therapy just to put it in words. I have been hesitant to do so because of my daughter, Tina. Her husband, Michael passed away in July. Both Dad and Michael passed away due to cancer. Tina, like mom, has some good days and some bad. But mom doesn't read my blogs. Tina does. So I try to keep my thoughts to a minimum.

You never know when just a simple thing will trigger a memory. Like a Christmas card. And we are not alone in facing a Christmas with pain and adversity. I know many of you are facing some things that make this a difficult time for you. My prayers are that the Lord will give you his divine strength. And I pray you will be surrounded by family and friends who will help you.

No comments: