Tuesday, March 18, 2008

ABSENTEE VOTING... ABSENTEE VOTERS

Absentee voting has begun in North Carolina for the May 6 primary. North Carolina's primaries are so late in the process that it typically does not matter in the national contest for President. This is the case again this year on the Republican side. John McCain has already locked up the nomination for the Republican party. Whoopie..



The Democrat party is still a hotly contested process, and will probably remain so right up until the time of the party's convention. Those voting on this side get to choose between senators Obama and Clinton. Another Whoopie.



I have my opinions and my sharply held convictions. First and foremost, I am unapologeticly Christian. I uphold certain moral and spiritual standards, and I generally place my ballot accordingly to those whom I feel best represent those values. But unlike some ministers, I attempt to stay neutral when it comes to politics and religion. I don't believe God is a Republican, and I don't believe He is a Democrat. Having said that, I am concerned this year.



And I hope I don't get in trouble for being so transparent, but the Presidential contest concerns me for where we are headed in this country. First, there's McCain. His age concerns me. And he is more liberal than some of those in the Democratic party. That concerns me. He touts his strengths as having a strong military background. I appreciate that. But I am concerned that we will continue to send our young men and women into a war that we cannot win. Investing lives of our own, while at the same time pouring millions of dollars out while our economy is suffering. That is another thing that concerns me. Will he continue the path we are now in, economically? We cannot afford another 4 years of hapless spending. I voted for President Bush, but he doesn't seem to get it. Yes, we are in a Recession. Our jobs have gone oversees, and what is left are low paying jobs at Wal Mart and Burger King.



I cannot even begin to express my concerns on either Democratic candidate. Their liberal view points scare me. The next President will probably select a couple of Supreme Court nominees. Both Obama and Clinton support same sex marriage and abortion. Senator Obama's pastor of the past 20 years, whom he has called his mentor, is blatantly racist. Spewing messages saying "God, xxxx America", and calling for black supremacy ought to concern everyone, regardless of race. I am opposed to racism, whatever color it comes in. Senator Obama is now renouncing his protoge and mentor, but remember, he followed him for 20 years. I am just as fearful of Senator Clinton. I am concerned that we will be taxed to death by either one of these candidates.



And so, as our primaries draw near in North Carolina, these are the choices... An elderly man who may give us more of the same of what we've been getting. A man who was unknown until 4 years ago, and we still know little about him. And what we are finding out concerns us. A woman that has an extremely liberal track record. So I guess as I go into the booth I will cast my vote for what I feel is the best of the worst.



I have done the absentee voting thing. It is pretty neat. You get to avoid the rush of election day lines. This year I may do something else. I may do the absentee voter thing.



THE VIEWS EXPRESSED IN THIS BLOG ARE MY OWN, AND DO NOT REPRESENT NEW HARVEST CHURCH, NOR ITS PEOPLE.

Pastor Ronnie

No comments: