Friday, March 7, 2008

HELP US HELP THEM

We've started a "shoe drive" here at New Harvest, through our Helping Hands Outreach. The purpose is to collect shoes for those in need. We will make them available to those here in our area who need them, and to selected missions projects.

I was checking my pictures this morning of last week's mission trip to El Salvador. I have already placed some of them on our overhead at the church, put some here on the website, and had others printed up. Moving pics of the power of God on display as Pastor Joey Turner and I ministered throughout the country are displayed. But the ones which move me the most are not of us preaching eloquent sermons, nor of people falling out under the power of the Holy Spirit. Yes, those stir me... but it's pictures like this one that stir me the most. I found it on a CD I had not yet loaded on my computer, but it is similar to some of the others.

This village is within a mile of a hotel we lodge at in Santa Ana, Hotel Tolteka. The hotel is a nice one, modest price. While we were there, there were 2 other missionary teams from the states. So it accomodates the Americans, with hot water, air conditioning, etc. I have stayed at this hotel before, but never knew until now that only about 3 blocks away sits this area.

I don't remember the name of the place. I wrote it down on one of my notepads, but honestly haven't unpacked everything. This area was where people were placed when the earthquakes of 2001 and 2002 devasted large portions of the nation. The homes are shacks with tin roofs. No grass or playground facilities exist here... Only dirt and dust for the children. I saw one toy- a soccer ball that the boys were sharing. The other "toys" were used tires that the boys were rolling around. And then this picture-- I hadn't noticed it before. They seem to be playing with sticks.

And one other thing-- I noticed about half the kids there did not have shoes. We plan on returning, probably sometime in August. I would like to have plenty of shoes to take with me. There are 500+ kids from 10 and under in this village.. Anyone want to help me round up some shoes? Do you know of a company that might want to make a donation? Let me know.

Be Blessed,
Pastor Ronnie

No comments: