Thursday, March 13, 2008

SERVICE SELLS

I'm reading a book on servant based leadership, and it is awesome. I don't have it with me as I write my blog today, and I am not sure of the title. But I can hardly put the book down as I devour its simple truths on leadership. It speaks of how authority and leadership are propelled not by titles or positions, but by acts of service.

I was busy on my laptop yesterday morning when it went out on me. I've been having some problems, the battery only lasting about 15-20 minutes at a time before it goes out before I need to plug in the power cord. Yesterday it went out on me. When I plugged in the power cord, it did not repower. The guys that do my computer service work (on my personal computer here at home, and also at church) are closed on Wednesdays, so I had to wait until this morning to give them a call. Unfortunately, they could not look at my laptop today, and it contains files that are only accessible through it. So much of my work would be delayed until I could get it checked out. I told them about my problem with the battery, and asked if this could be the problem. The tech on the other end told me that if it wasn't coming up when I plugged in the power cord, the battery would not be the problem.

I trusted his judgement, but decided since they could not see me today, I would look in the yellow pages. I found someone located a little nearer, but I haven't used them. I called to see if they could check my computer out today, and they said yes. I then told the guy what was going on, and he said, try taking the battery out of the computer to see if it will come on. I did, and it did.

Needless to say, I do not need the services of either computer gurus today. My trusted people that I do business with have been adequate in making repairs so far. But I find myself today with a new computer technician. No, they didn't get any business today-- but in reality, they did. The guy went out of his way to tell me what the other tech also knew. And no, I don't need either one of their services today. But I will, eventually. And one guy lost a customer, while the other one gained one. The one that lost the customer really didn't do anything. He just withheld what he knew so that he could get me to come in and make a service charge. The other guy told me some free info over the phone that stopped me from paying him a visit today- I was going to him, because he could see me. Although he didn't get the business today, he did get the business. Of not only myself, but the church, my friends. You see, good service sells. And happy customers sell.

I'm learing a lot from my little book. I'm actually relearning some things I already knew. And I learned something today from a phone call. Service Sells. It sold me.

Oh that we could learn that in the the church! Reminds of the teaching of Jesus. Going the extra mile, he who wants to be the greatest become a servant.. tons of stuff in the bible. Check it out. It's the greatest book on servant leadership!

Be Blessed,
Pastor Ronnie

No comments: