Sunday, October 5, 2008

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?


Ms. Jenny got lost this morning. She is our Kid's Church and Youth Director, and makes the trip into Forest City, from near Greenville, SC. She has been making the trips up now since the last of May, but she got turned around somehow this morning. She and daughter Savanna got lost. I am sure it seemed to them that they were out in the middle of nowhere. I did not learn until after the service what had happened. Marsha, one of our teachers, had asked me about her, as she and Jenny were supposed to meet early to lay out some plans for the kids. I told her I had not heard from Jenny. When I found out later what had happened, I knew why no call would come in.... from where she was, you can't get a signal.

Her route went through Cliffside, Henrietta, and Sandy Mush. I can tell you that on that route up 221 A north from Cowpens, you pretty much lose signals once you get towards Cliffside. Cliffside is an old mill village, the mill is gone. Three or four miles north of Cliffside you run into Henrietta, which is another old mill village. From Henrietta to Sandy Mush, the signal is faint and far between. That stretch of road is pretty much signal-less, at least on Verizon phones. I would hate to be on a stretch of road like that, not knowing where I was, and not be able to get a signal. I don't know how we ever made it without cell phones, but I am thankful we don't have to now- that is, unless you live in Cliffside, Henrietta, or going up right into Sandy Mush.

In Sandy Mush, you can get a signal. I don't know why it's called Sandy Mush, I have never seen the sand, nor the mush. For that part, I have never seen the side of the cliff either, and I have lived around here all my life. What I do know is that I have been in remote areas in third world countries and gotten signals, but somehow we don't have the technology here in good ole Rutherford County. Can somebody help us out over here? There's a church over on Countryside Drive that has some people travelling up that we need.. They need some good road signs, and a signal on their cell phone.


Ms. Jenny finally made it in. She got as far north as Spindale, which was too far up. She got turned around, got back on track, and thankfully made it to New Harvest. And we were blessed because of it. .

No comments: