Monday, October 27, 2008

CELEBRATING THE DEVIL'S DAY?


Our annual harvest festival is coming up this Friday. This is our 7th straight year to have this event in the present format we are doing. And, over the years of ministry, we have done so many times. Of course, the occasion to many is known as Halloween.

Halloween. There, I said it. To some believers, even the mention of the word is like using profanity. Some pastors spew from their pulpits, "How dare you celebrate the devil's day?!" They review the history of this dark day, and make sure their congregants are trained on the evils of this day. Some include Christmas along with it.

Yes, I have read the history, and yes, I understand darkness and witchcraft. But I believe that every day is the Lord's day. We don't celebrate Halloween at New Harvest Church, but we do offer a safe and fun event for the entire family, in a Christian environment. And, if someone shows up in a costume dressed as a witch, I am not going to send them to hell. I am going to love on them. I teach my church family to avoid the symbols of darkness associated with the day, but we don't stand at the entrance and exclude someone who may not meet the appropriate "Christian attire."

You know, some folks see a devil in everything. I'm not one of them. I'm not locked into a 100 year time warp, and afraid of something because of age old "demons." If that is where you are, it's ok. I'm just not there. If your convictions are that you can't step out of the house on October 31, it wont bother me. And if you don't want to put up a tree at Christmas, that will be your decision. But I plan on getting out on October 31, eat some candy and have some fun. All the while, I plan on shining for Jesus. And come mid to late December, I'll be taking some kids to see some lights and putting out some decorations... and still shining for Jesus.
Come and get on the hayride, pulled by a tractor. Join 20 others on it, from toddlers to seniors. Play the games, enjoy the inflatables, get in the cakewalk. Win prizes, see the crowd of people standing in line for trunk or treat, where they get tons of candy. More fun than you can handle. All free of charge. Yeah, that sounds pretty devilish to me-- I had better stay in and hide until sun up the next day, I sure don't want the devil to get on me:)

Go ahead. Look at the pictures on our website from last year's event. The kids were simply having fun, and so were mom and dad, grandma and grandpa. I dare you to see the devil in there. No, I see Jesus in all of it!



Happy Fall Festival,

Pastor Ronnie





No comments: