Friday, November 7, 2008

COMPUTER CRASH

It happened yesterday, and I was unprepared. My laptop has had some problems for a while now, so I should have been ready. But I was not. About a year ago the hinges that hold the screen up broke. I have one of those 17" ones, and I knew the replacement was going to be expensive. I had received the computer as a gift several years ago, and it was pretty much top of the line at the time.

So I had not gotten around to replacing the screen. And I tend to place files everywhere on my computer, without doing a back up. I am pretty much computer illiterate. From sermons, notes, over 1000 pictures, and about 50 pages of website files, it was loaded. Then yesterday, what I should have been prepared for, happened.

Off the coffee table it came. Into two pieces, the keys part, and the screen part, it lay on the carpet. It would not come back on. I assumed I would just need to go ahead and get the costly screen, but no. The computer guy said when it fell it shorted out, what do they call it, the motherboard or something. Which means it is worthless.

My worthless computer contains 300 sermons, 2 books, 1000 pictures, and 50 web pages. Plus tons of family and church items. Years of memories and materials are in the "worthless" computer. Money can't buy or replace those things. The computer guy said he could probably get most of it. He will retrieve my files in exchange for the computer, which he will use for parts.

He preached to me, and I didn't rebel against him. I should have been prepared, I should have saved them in one place, I should have had a back up. But, much like funeral services I have conducted, the fact is that it wasn't saved. And good intentions do not do it. Too little, too late.

That's it for today. I am in mourning for my laptop. Thanks for reading my blog. Thanks, Pastor Manning, for using the shofar blog. You honored us.

Blessings,
Pastor Ronnie

No comments: